Thursday, September 22, 2016

9 22 16 morning call

Six sessions.

That's how I'm gonna describe my surfing day on the Lahaina side yesterday. Five would have been a record already.

Olowalu was firing, here's some shots. You don't often see sections and turns like that there.


The morning high tide backwash was doing all kind of things to the wave, like creating sudden unexpected overhead peaks.


There were some moments in the afternoon too. I saw one wave that looked like a perfect lower Trestles right, sun reflections on the wave included.


I thought I had my last session and was done for the day at least three times. I was chilling out after my fifth one, when my buddy Peter came out of the water saying:"let's go look for a high tide spot!"
Looks like we found it. I got some gopro clips of those perfectly clean little waves (the quality factor was through the roof), but absolutely no time to edit them. Good, we got some small days ahead next week, I'll have some material to post.


Significant buoy readings 4am.
Pauwela
3.6ft @ 8s from 73° (ENE)
2.5ft @ 6s from 58° (ENE)
2.4ft @ 7s from 61° (ENE)
0.6ft @ 14s from 39° (NE)
Only windswell on the north shore. I didn't even check Hookipa yesterday and I won't this morning either.

Lanai
2.9ft @ 17s from 197° (SSW)

W Hawaii
3.4ft @ 15s from 169° (SSE)

SE Hawaii
4.6ft @ 16s from 191° (SSW)

Fantastic numbers at the buoys, this angular spreading swell is still pumping.

Current wind map shows a weak NW fetch, the usual windswell fetch and one down south that COULD give us another angular spread swell in a week. Just like this current one, it's not gonna hit the Samoa buoy at all, so the only way to find out if it happens will be by checking the local buoys.


MC2km maps not updated yet, it should be a light to moderate trades day.

No comments: